RSS Update Time? (General)

by Magma, Sunday, October 11, 2015, 13:26 (3091 days ago)

What is the default time for the RSS Threads to update? Is it every 24 hours or something?

I created a test thread and it's still not showing in any of my rss readers 35 minutes later? Anyway to update quicker?

Pull-service

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, October 11, 2015, 22:39 (3090 days ago) @ Magma
edited by Alfie, Sunday, October 11, 2015, 22:45

Hi Magma,

What is the default time for the RSS Threads to update? Is it every 24 hours or something?

RSS is a pull- not a push-service. Therefore, the update frequency is not related to mlf’s rss.inc.php.

I created a test thread and it's still not showing in any of my rss readers 35 minutes later? Anyway to update quicker?

What is the automatic refresh time of your reader? F.i. Thunderbird’s default are 100 minutes in order to preserve bandwidth. Did you try to “manually” check for new entries of the RSS-feed?

WP: “With RSS, the user's RSS reader polls the server periodically for new content; the server does not send information to the client unrequested. This continual polling is inefficient and has contributed to the shutdown or reduction of several popular RSS feeds that could not handle the bandwidth.”
(my emphasis)

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Refresh Time

by Magma, Monday, October 12, 2015, 02:21 (3090 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi, the refresh time in my rss reader is 30 minutes. I created a test post, went to my rss reader and kept doing a manual refresh and it never showed up. 30 minutes later still nothing. Around the 50 minute mark it shows up?

I tried it with a web based rss feedbucket and still the same result.

That's why I thought maybe there was a time setting in the code you had to change.

Refresh Time

by Auge ⌂, Monday, October 12, 2015, 09:36 (3090 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

I tried it with a web based rss feedbucket and still the same result.

That's why I thought maybe there was a time setting in the code you had to change.

No, there isn't a time based setting for the preparation of the rss-feed. The feed will be instantaneous generated with the PHP-script includes/rss_inc.php if requested from the reader.

The address of your feed is [http://example.com]/forum/index.php?mode=rss (needless to say with your own domain name instead example.com)?

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

MLF RSS Refresh Time is the same problem

by Magma, Monday, October 12, 2015, 10:24 (3090 days ago) @ Auge
edited by Magma, Monday, October 12, 2015, 10:35

Thanks for your replies. So I can't understand why these rss readers do not show new threads or new posts when I use a manual refresh even?

Can anybody else confirm manually refreshing their rss reader instantly shows new threads on the latest mlf build?

So it would not be a setting in my host cpanel?

EDITED TO SAY: before making this post I subscribed to this forum rss postings http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=rss and I manually refresh and my comment is still not showing 5 minutes later in my rss reader.

by Magma, Monday, October 12, 2015, 11:29 (3090 days ago) @ Magma

Ok now my previous MLF post has showed up in my reader. So something seems funky about the rss :confused:

by Auge ⌂, Monday, October 12, 2015, 13:46 (3090 days ago) @ Magma
edited by Auge, Monday, October 12, 2015, 13:51

Hello

Ok now my previous MLF post has showed up in my reader. So something seems funky about the rss :confused:

There seems to be a delay of an hour for you. I stumbled through some pieces of the code and wasn't able to find a single line of code, that could cause this behaviour. :-(

Tschö, Auge

[edit]I checked the feed and this posting is present if I load the feed from this link (a minute after it's generation). It is not present at this time in firefox's built in reader! Maybe this is a caching problem?[/edit]

--

Not confirmed in SeaMonkey 2.38

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, October 12, 2015, 22:02 (3089 days ago) @ Auge
edited by Alfie, Monday, October 12, 2015, 22:09

Hi

[edit]I checked the feed and this posting is present if I load the feed from this link (a minute after it's generation). It is not present at this time in firefox's built in reader! Maybe this is a caching problem?[/edit]

It showed up in my SeaMonkey 2.38 (like FF 41) with local time 15:46 (=the server’s and my location’s = CEST = UTC+2). In the source:
Received: by localhost; Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:55:05 +0200
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:46:04 +0000

[edit]
This one at local time 00:02:
Received: by localhost; Tue, 13 Oct 2015 00:04:09 +0200
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:02:14 +0000

No problem.
[/edit]

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 07:49 (3089 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello

It showed up in my SeaMonkey 2.38 (like FF 41) with local time 15:46 (=the server’s and my location’s = CEST = UTC+2). In the source:
Received: by localhost; Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:55:05 +0200
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:46:04 +0000

[edit]
This one at local time 00:02:
Received: by localhost; Tue, 13 Oct 2015 00:04:09 +0200
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:02:14 +0000

No problem.
[/edit]

In my case it was the necessity to reload the feed in firefox's builtin reader. The forum (this installation) itself serves the actual content in the feed at any request. So it does, when I loaded it over the direct link.

Let's state: We don't know the server and the client configuration of the thread opener.

Tschö, Auge

--

by Magma, Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 11:00 (3089 days ago) @ Alfie

I just don't get it.

Just talking about the rss on this site

If I add http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=rss to my reader it will get all the posts (even posts that had been created within the last few minutes)

If I then create a post on here and then go to my reader and manually refresh, the post does not show. If I wait for the reader to auto refresh at 30 minutes the post does not show. If I refresh around the 50 minute mark it shows.

I've tested in 3 different rss readers on Windows and the same happens. Manual refresh does not retrieve the latest posts

RSS Feed of thread