Is there a problem with Metro Syle IE and MLF? (General)

by Magma, Friday, July 03, 2015, 12:05 (3217 days ago)

Using the metro style IE in windows 8.1

When I'm logged in as a user, clicking on a thread, when the page loads I will be logged out, if I refresh the page I will be logged in again, if I click back to the forum index I will be logged out again until I refresh the page

So using the forum you are constantly logged in and out :-(

This problem does not happen with the desktop version of IE

IE 11 Seems broken with MLF

by Magma, Friday, July 03, 2015, 12:38 (3217 days ago) @ Magma

I just tried the desktop version again, it does not keep logging you out but if your on page (for example) page 5 of a category and you click on a thread, clicking on back to the forum index will not take you back to page 5 of said category but it will take you to a previous category you have viewed.

This problem is the same even on the mylittleforum website. Seems the cookies are not working right or something?

local cookie permissions?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Friday, July 03, 2015, 14:22 (3217 days ago) @ Magma

Hi Magma,

I cannot confirm your observation (tested IE 11.0.9600.17843 and SeaMonkey 2.33.1) with the installation of mlf here.

I selected [Design/Themes] and navigated to page 3. I opened this post. Clicking “Back to the forum index” takes me in both browsers to page 3 of the respective category. Therefore, it’s not an issue with cookies set by MLF.
Do you restrict cookies on your machine?

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by Magma, Friday, July 03, 2015, 15:34 (3217 days ago) @ Alfie

It seems to always take me back to the previous category I was viewing or back to the all categories page 1.

So for example if I was viewing a thread on 'technics page 4' and then go to a thread on 'bugs page 3' clicking back to forum index will take me back to 'technics page 4'

I have not altered IE settings. I tried deleting cookies.

What settings do you have set in IE or what could I change to test further?

Safari, chrome and firefox work flawlessly for me.

by Magma, Friday, July 03, 2015, 15:58 (3217 days ago) @ Alfie

Alfie I have listed exactly what I click on

go to the forum homepage then click exactly in the following order

(top right) technics
page 4
translation english into french
back to forum index
(top right) bugs
page 3
update from version 2.0 beta 26 to recent version
back to forum index (at this point I'm taken back to technics page 4)

IE-specific?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, July 05, 2015, 23:23 (3215 days ago) @ Magma

Hi Magma,

OK, now I got it. Works as intended in SeaMonkey 2.33.1 (=FireFox 36.0). IE screws up exactly as you described.
IE in its default-settings (I never use it…). Strange. :confused:

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

IE-specific?

by Magma, Monday, July 06, 2015, 00:29 (3215 days ago) @ Alfie

I've tried the desktop version and metro version of IE on a PC and a Surface RT and the MLF Script is broken on both machines :-( I normally use Chrome but quite a few people have emailed me about the problem with IE

Like I said the problem does not happen on Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Is this likely to be fixed in the future?

IE-specific?

by Micha ⌂, Monday, July 06, 2015, 08:14 (3214 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi,

IE in its default-settings (I never use it…). Strange. :confused:

Maybe, it is a caching issues. The "Back to"-URI does not changed. Thus, the information about the "user-settings" are not a part of the URI. Maybe, the IE browser identify the URI as "known page" and loads a cached page instead of the right one.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

turn-off caching

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 00:23 (3214 days ago) @ Micha
edited by Alfie, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 00:31

Hi Micha,

Maybe, it is a caching issues. The "Back to"-URI does not changed. Thus, the information about the "user-settings" are not a part of the URI. Maybe, the IE browser identify the URI as "known page" and loads a cached page instead of the right one.

Sounds reasonable.
Maybe it was a little bit unfortunate by Alex to truncate the URI. If I select a page with a category it is still there, e.g.,
http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=index&category=3&page=4
… and after opening a post it’s gone:
http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=index

This behavior is different from previous versions of mlf. In my (1.8 beta) installation the complete URI is kept (and works in IE11):
http://forum.bebac.at/mix.php?page=2&category=13&descasc=DESC

Going back to the way mlf <2 behaved would be a major re-write (I guess). Plus: I expect some users complaining about “ugly” long URIs.

@Magma: Could you try to add

<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache">

to the header of your template? May do the job in IE unless the size of the page is not too large. The workaround from Micro$oft’s KB #222064 looks weird. Not sure whether it is valid to add another head after the body…

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

turn-off caching?

by Magma, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 11:05 (3213 days ago) @ Alfie

@Magma: Could you try to add

<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache">

to the header of your template? May do the job in IE unless the size of the page is not too large. The workaround from Micro$oft’s KB #222064 looks weird. Not sure whether it is valid to add another head after the body…

I'm using the default theme, where do I put this code please?

themes - default - ?

turn-off caching?

by Micha ⌂, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 11:32 (3213 days ago) @ Magma

Hi,

I'm using the default theme, where do I put this code please?

Add it to the themes/default/main.tpl file.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Tried adding code to header

by Magma, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 12:39 (3213 days ago) @ Alfie

I added the code to the header but the problem still persists. Is there meant to be a forward slash in the code?

As for the Microsoft workaround I have not tried that as I don't really understand it :-(

Tried adding code to header

by Micha ⌂, Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 17:21 (3213 days ago) @ Magma

Hi,

As for the Microsoft workaround I have not tried that as I don't really understand it :-(

I tried it, but it didn't solve the problem.

/Micha

--

turn-off caching

by Micha ⌂, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 11:14 (3212 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi Alfie,

Sounds reasonable.

I saw this thread today and installed the Fiddler software to monitor the traffic. If I clicked to the "back to forum index" link, no network traffic was observed. Maybe a php-header can solve the problem. I found various of headers e.g.

header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0");
header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);
header("Pragma: no-cache");

Up to now, I don't understand, how the script is building the links and how to add more parameters. Here, an example:

$subnav_link = array('id' => $id, 'title'=>$link_title, 'name'=>$link_name);

and my suggestion?!?

$param = $id . "&amp;" . "foo=bar";
$subnav_link = array('id' => $param, 'title'=>$link_title, 'name'=>$link_name);

I select a page with a category it is still there, e.g.,
http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=index&category=3&page=4

This means, Alex looks for the $_REQUEST-Array and we only have to add the category (and page) to the index-link?

/Micha

--

turn-off caching

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, July 09, 2015, 13:31 (3211 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello Alfie

... The workaround from Micro$oft’s KB #222064 looks weird. Not sure whether it is valid to add another head after the body…

No, it's not. Apart from that, it is a workaround for outdated IE's, not IE 11.

Article ID: 222064 - Last Review: June 22, 2014 - Revision: 6.0
Keywords: 
 kbprb kbprogramming KB222064
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread