Stopping People Changing The Subject Title? (General)

by Magma, Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 22:57 (3313 days ago)

Can anybody tell me how I can prevent a person changing the Subject title when replying to a thread?

Thank you

by design…

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:29 (3312 days ago) @ Magma
edited by Alfie, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 00:49

Hi Magma,

[…] how I can prevent a person changing the Subject title when replying to a thread?

I think that would not be a particularly good idea. On the contrary, in most fora admins struggle to educate users to modify the subject line according to the post’s content. Quite commonly you observe the so-called “thread-drift”. In some of the replies the discussed topic might move away from the original one. If the subject line is modified it greatly helps others users not to be forced to browse through all posts – even uninteresting ones – and concentrate on the ones dealing with the OT only.

Therefore all forum-scripts I’m aware of allow modifying the subject line. It should be possible that you restrict that in your installation but I don’t expect to see such a “solution” posted by one of the regulars here…

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by design…

by Magma, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 00:11 (3312 days ago) @ Alfie

Thanks for the explanation you have convinced me to drop the idea :-)

by design…

by Magma, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 00:45 (3312 days ago) @ Alfie

Alfie I will add, it would be nice to see the original subject title when you hover your mouse over one of the 'latest postings' links.

Because if you have the order of threads set by date, and your looking at the 'latest postings' list and if somebody has changed the subject you really don't know what thread your going to end up in until you click on that link.

If you know what I mean :-)

tid or pid?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 01:04 (3312 days ago) @ Magma

Hi Magma,

Alfie I will add, it would be nice to see the original subject title when you hover your mouse over one of the 'latest postings' links.

In principle that should be possible but requires one or two additional queries of the database.

Because if you have the order of threads set by date, and your looking at the 'latest postings' list and if somebody has changed the subject you really don't know what thread your going to end up in until you click on that link.

True. Never thought about that. Probably you are opening a can of worms. Are you interested in the subject line of the previous post in the tree or the first one?

• Case 1
    Get the id, pid, and tid of the post. Query the DB for id == pid. Retrieve the subject line of this post, send to the template with a new CSS-class. Modify the template and style the CSS for hovering.
  • Case 2
    As above, but id == tid.

Doable. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

tid or pid?

by Magma, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 04:44 (3311 days ago) @ Alfie

It would be the very first original post's subject.

For example at the moment if somebody starts a thread 'man united team talk' and somebody changes the subject for one post to 'chelsea are great' when you view this in latest posts there is no way of knowing it was originally a man united thread.

This problem is more dangerous if the original thread was like 'naked chicks' and somebody changes the subject to 'look at this safe for work'.

Your case 1 and 2 went straight over my head I'm not too technical. Maybe the team will add it in a future update :-)

by design…

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 07:53 (3311 days ago) @ Magma

Hi,

The problem does not exist. Changing the subject means - in my opinion -, that the topic of the thread is (far) away from the original topic. The new replies don't discuss the topic of the opener. It is like a new topic in a new thread.

regards
Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by design…

by Magma, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 12:20 (3311 days ago) @ Micha

As per my previous post all I'm saying is some people can be childish and exploit this for laughs, it's a slight flaw not being able to view the original 'intention' of the thread before clicking through.

Some childish person changing the subject to "fluffy kittens" you have absolutely no idea what the original intention of the thread is, the entire thread could be mature xxx content.

At least if you could hover over the "fluffy kittens" post in the latest postings list and see the original subject was "post your naked pictures of Pamela Anderson" you know not to click on it, at work at least :lol3:

RSS Feed of thread