"Open whole/in thread" by default (General)

by bers, Sunday, September 07, 2014, 16:02 (3490 days ago)

Hi,
I am a user (not an admin, unfortunately) of my little forum in two communities, and I like it a lot. But what I am missing is an option to open everything in "thread view" by default - having to make an extra effort to open the thread view from a post (index.php?id=xyz) or having to hit this tiny little "Open whole thread" (index.php?mode=index) is quite annoying, especially on mobile devices. Or did I miss an option somewhere?

Thanks!

"Open whole/in thread" by default

by Auge ⌂, Monday, September 08, 2014, 13:52 (3489 days ago) @ bers

Hello

I am a user (not an admin, unfortunately) of my little forum in two communities, and I like it a lot. But what I am missing is an option to open everything in "thread view" by default - having to make an extra effort to open the thread view from a post (index.php?id=xyz) or having to hit this tiny little "Open whole thread" (index.php?mode=index) is quite annoying, especially on mobile devices. Or did I miss an option somewhere?

In the version 1.x there was the option to allow the user to choose his preferred view. This function seems to be gone from version 2.x.

I will check the source code today or tomorrow and will report again about the conclusions.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by bers, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 12:22 (3487 days ago) @ Auge

Thanks!

What I found in the admin/language code of 1.7.6 is this:

$lang_add['standard'] =                       "Default view";
$lang_add['standard_d'] =                     "Which view should be used as default?";
$lang_add['standard_thread'] =                "Thread view";
$lang_add['standard_board'] =                 "Board view";
$lang_add['standard_mix'] =                   "Mix view";

I don't know if that's what I was looking for. However:

Oh! OH! I just found out that if I display the forum in FORUM-TABLE view, then a thread or post is always opened in POST-THREAD view. When displaying a forum in FORUM-THREAD view, it always opens a single post only.

This will take some getting used to the FORUM-TABLE view (instead of FORUM-THREAD view) on a forum's page, but it solves my issue with opening a post in thread view by default.

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 16:08 (3487 days ago) @ bers

Hello

What I found in the admin/language code of 1.7.6 is this:

$lang_add['standard'] =                       "Default view";
$lang_add['standard_d'] =                     "Which view should be used as default?";
$lang_add['standard_thread'] =                "Thread view";
$lang_add['standard_board'] =                 "Board view";
$lang_add['standard_mix'] =                   "Mix view";

I don't know if that's what I was looking for. However:

Ok, so you are talking about mlfs version 1.x branch. Here we are at the version 2.3. Yes, in version 1.x you can define your preferred view as a registered user.

Oh! OH! I just found out that if I display the forum in FORUM-TABLE view, then a thread or post is always opened in POST-THREAD view. When displaying a forum in FORUM-THREAD view, it always opens a single post only.

Yes, that's intended (in both branches).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread