Uploading of gifs (Technics)

by smurfy, Friday, July 04, 2014, 18:36 (3578 days ago)

Sorry to be a pest, but does MLF allow the uploading of gifs as I have tried. Even though it allows me to upload the gif, it does not animate within the post...

Uploading of gifs

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, July 05, 2014, 18:01 (3577 days ago) @ smurfy

Hi,

thats right. The reason is the PHP imagecreatefromgif-function: When reading animated GIF files into memory, only the first frame is returned in the image resource pointer.

regards
Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Uploading of gifs

by smurfy, Saturday, July 05, 2014, 22:10 (3576 days ago) @ Micha

Hi,

thats right. The reason is the PHP imagecreatefromgif-function: When reading animated GIF files into memory, only the first frame is returned in the image resource pointer.

How can this problem be resolved, as it would be cool to have Gif's animate within posts... Not that I would know how to implement new coding if it could be remedied.

By the way, can I use HTML code in the signature box on profiles ?

Thanks Micha for your help.

regards,
Jaime

regards
Micha

Linking to images instead

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, July 05, 2014, 23:41 (3576 days ago) @ smurfy

Hi,

How can this problem be resolved, as it would be cool to have Gif's animate within posts... Not that I would know how to implement new coding if it could be remedied.

A workaround would be to upload the gif to any of the many free image-sites and link to it between img-BBCodes. For an example see this post.

HTML-code is nowhere supported in mlf, but all implemented BBCodes can be used in the signature as well.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by smurfy, Saturday, July 05, 2014, 23:57 (3576 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi,

A workaround would be to upload the gif to any of the many free image-sites and link to it between img-BBCodes. For an example see this post.

But why don't the MLF people make it so that you can upload Gifs and enable them to animate ? ... Is it that difficult to implement this in the MLF board ? Or are they just lazy :lol:

Thanks for you reply. :ok:

HTML-code is nowhere supported in mlf, but all implemented BBCodes can be used in the signature as well.

by Micha ⌂, Sunday, July 06, 2014, 08:45 (3576 days ago) @ smurfy

Hi,

But why don't the MLF people make it so that you can upload Gifs and enable them to animate ? ... Is it that difficult to implement this in the MLF board ?

As I wrote, PHP does not support animated pictures. This is not a problem of the forum, it is a general problem which occurs if imagecreatefromgif is used. There are some workarounds. To use them, an additional library is required.

regards Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by smurfy, Monday, July 07, 2014, 15:46 (3575 days ago) @ Micha

Thanks Micha, I get it. :ok:

I wonder if you can help with another problem. My forum title meta tags are showing the name of my forum first and then the title of the post last [forum name] - [post title]. How do I make it so that the post title shows first and then forum name last [post title] - [forum name].

Regards,

Jaime

by Micha ⌂, Monday, July 07, 2014, 16:43 (3575 days ago) @ smurfy

Hi,

I'm not sure, but I think you can change that settings in your template-file main.tpl.

regards
Micha

--

Smilies

by smurfy, Monday, July 07, 2014, 22:36 (3574 days ago) @ Micha

As I wrote, PHP does not support animated pictures. This is not a problem of the forum, it is a general problem which occurs if imagecreatefromgif is used. There are some workarounds. To use them, an additional library is required.

Hi Micha,
I just thought, the smilies are Gifs and they animate - I don't understand ???

regards,
Jaime

Smilies

by Micha ⌂, Tuesday, July 08, 2014, 06:35 (3574 days ago) @ smurfy

Hi,

Smilies are uploaded via FTP, aren't they? Thus, no PHP function was used.

As far as I know, the use of imagecopy-function has security reasons.

regards
Micha

--

Smilies

by smurfy, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:51 (3573 days ago) @ Micha

Hi,

Smilies are uploaded via FTP, aren't they? Thus, no PHP function was used.

So how comes this Gif animates;

[image]

But this one does not ?

[image]

I did not FTP any...

Smilies

by Micha ⌂, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:57 (3573 days ago) @ smurfy

Hi,

maybe the second one was down scaled?

regards
Micha

--

Smilies

by smurfy, Monday, July 14, 2014, 23:40 (3567 days ago) @ Micha

Hi,

maybe the second one was down scaled?

No it wasn't.

Jaime

RSS Feed of thread