my site using my little forum (Project organisation)

by kittykuma, Saturday, December 28, 2013, 23:05 (3743 days ago)

Thank you very much for providing us with this great source code for us starters without much project funds to begin with.

here is what I come up with after tweak the source code css file. MiOopinion.com
[image]

I'm pretty satisfied with the result. although I'm a bit worried about the expandability issues raised by the future topic number increase. My site is about gaming and pet and such. It will be nice if I can divide my forum into game and pet those 2 major forum, and divide more sub-forum inside the game forum. maybe create a sql table for each games?

Is there anyway I can set subcategory and divide 'my little forum' to different sub-forum panels? If you guys can come up with a sub-forum panel solution, I will be happily donate at least $50 dollar to your project fund.
BTW: Is there anyway we could donate in the form of gift card (digital psn card code, etc)?

Thank you very much.

Cheers
kittykuma

my site using my little forum

by Auge ⌂, Monday, December 30, 2013, 23:47 (3741 days ago) @ kittykuma

Hello

I'm pretty satisfied with the result. although I'm a bit worried about the expandability issues raised by the future topic number increase. My site is about gaming and pet and such. It will be nice if I can divide my forum into game and pet those 2 major forum, and divide more sub-forum inside the game forum. maybe create a sql table for each games?

The software handles all "forums" in one view by default. You can use categories to split it into subforums. An User can then pick a category and will see only threads from it.

There are some threads in this forum, where the installation of more than one forum on only one webspace is described. One very old thread picks some issues and offers solutions or this one or that one too. Try the search function i.e. with several forums or with multiple forums Read it and ask again if needed.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by kittykuma, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 03:14 (3739 days ago) @ Auge

The software handles all "forums" in one view by default. You can use categories to split it into subforums. An User can then pick a category and will see only threads from it.

There are some threads in this forum, where the installation of more than one forum on only one webspace is described. One very old thread picks some issues and offers solutions or this one or that one too. Try the search function i.e. with several forums or with multiple forums Read it and ask again if needed.

Tschö, Auge

Thanks for reply Auge. Actually I know there is a category filter. What I want is a sub-forum feature which look like this.
[image]
My site is mainly about gaming. For ps3 alone there are already thousands titles there. now comes the ps4 titles. I can't keep add categories in MLF for each game, which will increase the number of entries in the top-right drop-down menu, who want to navigate a drop down menu has thousands entries.

So I want to divide them into a A~Z subforums which can be selected from the main forum index page.
then divide them into a 2nd tier subforum named by each game's title. it kinda like directory management system in our pc.

I know the project is huge and very complexed just by looking at the 10,000+ lines of source code. I'm overwhelmed at least. Although I'm a noob in coding. just finished beginner php/mysql class this fall.
you guys did a great job layout the huge structure. Is it possible for MLF future update supporting the subforum feature? or I'm meowing at the wrong fish?:-P

Another suggestion is: most ppl judges a product by it's look on first impression. My psn friends who visited my forum site said it look a bit messy. it took me a long while to figure out how to change the default looking to a cleaner table view.
in phpmyadmin interface type sql command:
UPDATE mlf_settings SET value = '1' WHERE name='default_view';
UPDATE mlf_settings SET value = '1' WHERE name='fold_threads';

#so maybe in future release change the following lines in install.sql file?
INSERT INTO mlf2_settings VALUES ('default_view', '1');
INSERT INTO mlf2_settings VALUES ('fold_threads', '1');

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, January 01, 2014, 21:14 (3739 days ago) @ kittykuma

Hello

Thanks for reply Auge. Actually I know there is a category filter. What I want is a sub-forum feature which look like this.

My site is mainly about gaming. For ps3 alone there are already thousands titles there. now comes the ps4 titles. I can't keep add categories in MLF for each game, which will increase the number of entries in the top-right drop-down menu, who want to navigate a drop down menu has thousands entries.

I see, the category feature is not a solution for you. The lack of subforums like it's implemented in (all) other board scripts was a willful decision. This is my little forum.

you guys did a great job layout the huge structure. Is it possible for MLF future update supporting the subforum feature? or I'm meowing at the wrong fish?:-P

I don't know what is planned for the future. Neither if the feature will be implemented nor when. That said, it may be better to use another software wich fulfil your requirements.

Another suggestion is: most ppl judges a product by it's look on first impression. My psn friends who visited my forum site said it look a bit messy. it took me a long while to figure out how to change the default looking to a cleaner table view.
in phpmyadmin interface type sql command:
UPDATE mlf_settings SET value = '1' WHERE name='default_view';
UPDATE mlf_settings SET value = '1' WHERE name='fold_threads';

This software is not a bulletin board software, it is a threaded forum. So the default value is the unfolded thread. In that way one can see who answered whom. By the way: You don't need to use phpMyAdmin to change the settings. You'll find a page to change settings in the admin area. And yes, the structure of the HTML output is old (it's from 2006).

Tschö, Auge

--

by kittykuma, Thursday, January 02, 2014, 02:41 (3738 days ago) @ Auge

If you do a research for the forum softwares currently out there. You will see those Bulletin style ones are most popular.

here is some data I get after doing some research on forum software:

• Vbulletin :cost $250
  • IpBoard: cost $20+ per month
  • phpBB: free and recent update include the sub-forum feature

so why not I choose phpBB?
Actually I trid the phpBB, but uninstalled it right after one day. Because I was turned off by That Gaint PHPBB logo stuck in the topleft corner. and the new user registration is too complicated, which will turn my visitor off I think.
On those two aspects, My little forum did really well. It allow user name their own site for the forum, and very simple registration process. That's the reason I switch to MLF.

If I am the owner of the MLF source code and are capable of complex coding. My business strategy will be go towards the Bulletin style. and price it at a competitive price tag less than $100 to compete with vbulletin and Ipboard.
It could offer free version for basic user. But if user need premium feature( sub-forum for example), they need to pay for it. My theory is if a site owner need sub-forum feature, that could mean their site already get lots of traffic, and they can afford to pay.

Those are just my 2 cents.

Hey visitors to this site, please stop staying in lurking mode. [image]
Please speak up your mind.
What style and feature you want MLF to be and to have?
Maybe the site owner should start a poll to check what ppl really want?

by edogram, Sunday, March 09, 2014, 10:08 (3672 days ago) @ kittykuma

If you do a research for the forum softwares currently out there. You will see those Bulletin style ones are most popular.

here is some data I get after doing some research on forum software:

• Vbulletin :cost $250
  • IpBoard: cost $20+ per month
  • phpBB: free and recent update include the sub-forum feature

so why not I choose phpBB?
Actually I trid the phpBB, but uninstalled it right after one day. Because I was turned off by That Gaint PHPBB logo stuck in the topleft corner. and the new user registration is too complicated, which will turn my visitor off I think.
On those two aspects, My little forum did really well. It allow user name their own site for the forum, and very simple registration process. That's the reason I switch to MLF.

If I am the owner of the MLF source code and are capable of complex coding. My business strategy will be go towards the Bulletin style. and price it at a competitive price tag less than $100 to compete with vbulletin and Ipboard.
It could offer free version for basic user. But if user need premium feature( sub-forum for example), they need to pay for it. My theory is if a site owner need sub-forum feature, that could mean their site already get lots of traffic, and they can afford to pay.

Those are just my 2 cents.

Hey visitors to this site, please stop staying in lurking mode. [image]
Please speak up your mind.
What style and feature you want MLF to be and to have?
Maybe the site owner should start a poll to check what ppl really want?

Yes i like what you said, the front page contact all topics... If visitor want to visit a categoty the catigory is allowed. One tihing i like about this forum is that with 1mb of internet data. You can browse freely with my little forum.

Now question
[*] how to put a thread at the top and leave it there forever. Or anytime you like.
[*] can one be able to remove the powered by my little forum at the bottom page? Its kind of too bold there.
[*] am i allowed to use customize themes on my little forum?

using the potential

by Auge ⌂, Monday, March 10, 2014, 20:25 (3671 days ago) @ edogram

Hello

Now question
[*] how to put a thread at the top and leave it there forever. Or anytime you like.

As an admin you can make a thread a sticky.

[*] can one be able to remove the powered by my little forum at the bottom page? Its kind of too bold there.

Why removing the copyright note? It's the price for using this software. And about "too bold". Grey font on light grey background with a size lower than 12 or 13 pixel height is "too bold"? There seems to be something wrong with your eyes. ;-)

Anyway, you can change the size and colour via CSS rules.

[*] am i allowed to use customize themes on my little forum?

Change the HTML templates and the CSS ruleset yourself.

Tschö, Auge

--

RSS Feed of thread