Timezone bug? (Bugs)

by bttr ⌂, Berlin, Germany, Thursday, April 26, 2007, 13:33 (6207 days ago)

It's 03:33 PM here now. :-D

[image]

This error will show up only, if I'm not logged in. Otherwise it shows "15:21" for my "Time difference" posting. (Depending on my "Time difference" user setting.)

To be honest, I never fully understood the timezone stuff. ;-)

Timezone bug?

by Alex ⌂, Thursday, April 26, 2007, 15:00 (6207 days ago) @ bttr

This error will show up only, if I'm not logged in. Otherwise it shows "15:21" for my "Time difference" posting. (Depending on my "Time difference" user setting.)

I don't really understand what you mean. How many days/hours/minutes ago a message was posted is completely independent from the time zone.

Here is an explanation. ;-)

The time difference option in the user settings is there in order that you can see when a message was posted at your local time if the forum time is different to your local time.

Alex

Timezone bug?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Thursday, April 26, 2007, 15:34 (6207 days ago) @ Alex
edited by Alfie, Thursday, April 26, 2007, 16:25

Yes, but the differences are not integers. To quote your source:
The 27° N latitude passes back and forth across time zones in South Asia. Pakistan: +5, India +5:30, Nepal +5:45, India (Sikkim) +5:30, China +8:00, Bhutan +6:00, India (Arunachal Pradesh) +5:30, Myanmar +6:30. This switching was more odd in 2002, when Pakistan enabled Daylight Saving Time. Thus from west to east, time zones were: +6:00, +5:30, +5:45, +5:30, +8:00, +6:00, +5:30 and +6:30.

The time difference option in the user settings is there in order that you can see when a message was posted at your local time if the forum time is different to your local time.

See this post in the German Forum.

In my profile the time-difference is set to '0', the server sits in Germany (D-74321 Bietigheim-Bissingen), my clock shows 17:34 and the post shows up with the timestamp 16:34. Maybe the server slept over the daylight saving time.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Timezone bug?

by Alex ⌂, Thursday, April 26, 2007, 18:29 (6206 days ago) @ Alfie

Yes, but the differences are not integers. [...]

OK, there are a few exceptions. But I'm not sure whether we should change it as it complicates it a little bit with floats (text field instead of select box, different ways users insert the values...).

In my profile the time-difference is set to '0', the server sits in Germany (D-74321 Bietigheim-Bissingen), my clock shows 17:34 and the post shows up with the timestamp 16:34. Maybe the server slept over the daylight saving time.

Forum time = GMT.

Alex

Timezone bug?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Friday, April 27, 2007, 12:07 (6206 days ago) @ Alex

OK, there are a few exceptions.

About 1.3/6.6 billion (20%) of the world's population.

But I'm not sure whether we should change it as it complicates it a little bit with floats (text field instead of select box, different ways users insert the values...).

If it's possible, yes. The largest group of users in my forum lives in India (GMT: +5:30).

Forum time = GMT.

I see! :-)

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Timezone bug?

by Alex ⌂, Friday, April 27, 2007, 16:17 (6206 days ago) @ Alfie

OK, there are a few exceptions.

About 1.3/6.6 billion (20%) of the world's population.

This is an argument! I'll think about it.

Alex

Timezone bug?

by bttr ⌂, Berlin, Germany, Friday, April 27, 2007, 08:07 (6206 days ago) @ Alex

Who deleted my screenshot? :-(

I don't really understand what you mean. How many days/hours/minutes ago a message was posted is completely independent from the time zone.

In my user settings I have a time difference of "1" (hour). Let's say I post a message at 14:00 local time. I come back after 5 minutes. If I'm logged in, the message will be shown correctly with 14:00 and "Latest postings" shows "5 minutes ago". Then I log out and now the message is shown as 13:00, but "Latest postings" still shows "5 minutes ago". That's confusing! At least to me.

I know those pages, but ... :-( To make things even more complicated, they invented the stupid DST stuff.

Timezone bug?

by Micha ⌂, Friday, April 27, 2007, 11:40 (6206 days ago) @ bttr

Hi,

In my user settings I have a time difference of "1" (hour). Let's say I post a message at 14:00 local time. I come back after 5 minutes. If I'm logged in, the message will be shown correctly with 14:00 and "Latest postings" shows "5 minutes ago". Then I log out and now the message is shown as 13:00, but "Latest postings" still shows "5 minutes ago". That's confusing! At least to me.

It is simple.

You have:
Tposting = 13:00
dTuser = 1:00
Tnow = 13:05

Your time
TpostingUser = Tposting + dTuser
TnowUser = Tnow + dTUser

Last Answered Posting
--> dTlatest_posting = Tnow - Tposting
= (Tnow + dTuser) - (Tposting + dTuser) = Tnow + dTuser - Tposting - dTuser
= Tnow - Tposting

Your dTuser is a constant value...

Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

RSS Feed of thread