Update from version 1.6x to 2.2 (Technics)

by wo2010, Monday, November 29, 2010, 23:17 (4887 days ago)

Hello,

there is a decription how to update "my little forum" from version 1.7x to 2.2. But here still version 1.6.x is running. (BTW: Where do I find the exact version number?)

Can I use the same script dedicated to 1.7? Do I have to update to 1.7 or make some special preparations first?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards
Wolfgang

Update 1.6x > 1.7x > 2.2x

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 22:35 (4885 days ago) @ wo2010

Hi Wolfgang!

there is a decription how to update "my little forum" from version 1.7x to 2.2. But here still version 1.6.x is running. (BTW: Where do I find the exact version number?)

Well, in all 1.6x versions only the major revison (=not the x) is stored in the database. You can check that: Admin area > forum settings > advanced settings > version. I assume it will show "1.6" in your installation.
The first version saving the minor revision in the database was 1.7.4.

Can I use the same script dedicated to 1.7?

No, it will not work - lines 133... of the update script check the first three characters of the version number and will stop with an error message (and telling you the current version).

Do I have to update to 1.7 or make some special preparations first?

Yes. But don't be afraid (unless it's a very, very large forum - which may run into troubles with memory allocation and maximum runtime).

• Be sure that you still have the original forum.zip (I have 1.6.2 2006-03-07, 1.6.3 2006-06-18); they are not available at Alex' site anymore. If you don't have them, we can arrange something...
  • Make a backup of the database (from within mlf1.6 Admin area > backup or restore database > complete SQL dump > wait until your browser reports finish, complete or something similar).
  • Copypaste the entire browser's content to a text editor and save on your local machine.
  • If you are familiar with phpMyAdmin, you may perform a backup there.
  • Replace the forum's scripts on the server with version 1.7.6.
  • Run install.php - the script will detect the database of v1.6x and will update the forum (no need to restore the database!).

I started with 1.4.1β and ended up with a heavily patched 1.7.6 without problems in any of the updates in between.

Now for the worst case: The update 1.6x > 1.7.6 fails. Oops. Replace the 1.7.6 scripts with the old 1.6x ones, run install and restore the backup database.

Servus aus Wien.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by wo2010, Thursday, December 02, 2010, 13:43 (4884 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello Helmut,

many thanks for your detailed answer.

Well, in all 1.6x versions only the major revison (=not the x) is stored in the database. You can check that: Admin area > forum settings > advanced settings > version. I assume it will show "1.6" in your installation.

No, it shows "1.7"!! Surprise!
But the file readme.txt in our installation speaks about version 1.6.3, that's why I opened this thread. Well the datafield looks like editable so I don't know if I can trust it.

• Be sure that you still have the original forum.zip (I have 1.6.2 2006-03-07, 1.6.3 2006-06-18); they are not available at Alex' site anymore. If you don't have them, we can arrange something...

Thanks for your offer. I "inherited" the website/forum without the installation files.
So if there's no special fingerprint for 1.7x I think I have to do a try and error upgrade assuming to run version 1.7.

• If you are familiar with phpMyAdmin, you may perform a backup there.

Yes I know phpMyAdmin but used it for backups and little data corrections only.
BTW the database embeds some tables for other applications (which are backuped with phpMyAdmin but not within mlf I think): Do I have to expect trouble? Should I better dissolve them and give mlf a dedicated database?

I started with 1.4.1β and ended up with a heavily patched 1.7.6 without problems in any of the updates in between.

Thanks for the "reassurance". But does your sentence mean you still did not went to version 2.x?

Best regards und schöne Grüße
from snowy federal state Brandenburg
Wolfgang

PS: Most likely not able to answer until next week.

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Thursday, December 02, 2010, 23:17 (4884 days ago) @ wo2010

Hi WOlfgang!

[...] Admin area > forum settings > advanced settings > version. I assume it will show "1.6" in your installation.

No, it shows "1.7"!! Surprise!
But the file readme.txt in our installation speaks about version 1.6.3, that's why I opened this thread. Well the datafield looks like editable so I don't know if I can trust it.

Hhm, strange. The datafield is editable, but as I said before the minor revision were not saved into this field until 1.7.3. Before that I edited it on my own, just to keep track of the last version. Alex' install.php (and the new update.php) only checks the first three characters.

Thanks for your offer. I "inherited" the website/forum without the installation files.

That's tough. ;-)

So if there's no special fingerprint for 1.7x I think I have to do a try and error upgrade assuming to run version 1.7.

1.6.3 was the last version without a captcha and 1.7.1 the first one with. Even if you don't have it up and running, just have a look whether you have a captcha directory.

BTW the database embeds some tables for other applications (which are backuped with phpMyAdmin but not within mlf I think): Do I have to expect trouble? Should I better dissolve them and give mlf a dedicated database?

I would do so. I'm not qualified to analyse Alex' update script. ;-)

Thanks for the "reassurance". But does your sentence mean you still did not went to version 2.x?

Right. To be honest, mlf 2.x is not 'little' any more, IMHO. I'm helping Auge in getting v1.8 up ('though the mix-view is not working right now...). See there.

Good luck!

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by wo2010, Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 19:48 (4879 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello Helmut,

1.6.3 was the last version without a captcha and 1.7.1 the first one with. Even if you don't have it up and running, just have a look whether you have a captcha directory.

thanks for this great advice. I have to apologize - there is a captcha directory. And there is a README file too (without extension) talking about version 1.7.3 ... So I am able to use the script I think.

Right. To be honest, mlf 2.x is not 'little' any more, IMHO.

I did not find a comparison between 1.7 and 2.x. Which feature(s) or behavior of 2.x do you dislike?

Best regards
Wolfgang

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 20:38 (4879 days ago) @ wo2010

Hello

... And there is a README file too (without extension) talking about version 1.7.3 ...

Normal behaviour for Unix-like-packaging-systems. There are files like README, INSTALL, COPY or LICENSE and some more.

Right. To be honest, mlf 2.x is not 'little' any more, IMHO.

I did not find a comparison between 1.7 and 2.x. Which feature(s) or behavior of 2.x do you dislike?

mlf2 has a newer code base with external classes i.e. stringparser_bbcode for bb-code-parsing, geshi for code-example-output, smarty as template system, akismet, bad-behavior and captcha for spam prevention and some Ajax features. That makes it more featurish and also flexible but also bigger (!= little). It uses UTF-8 instead regional code pages, which is better for internationalization. You can use tags wich is an alternative way for posting search.

mlf1 lacks most of these features. Only captcha is included since 1.7 (in another way (if I'm right)). There is a fork of mlf1 that has (or should have in the future) some of the features like UTF-8 (done), stringparser_bbcode for bb-code-parsing and tags (both not done) and some code cleaning (in comparision with original mlf1). It has some other features you'll lack with mlf2 (current or ever).

If you like the new* features of mlf2 you better use mlf2. Most of them will not (not to say "never") be implemented in the mlf1-fork. If you only need UTF-8 (as a new feature) and don't want to make experiments with non stable scripts use mlf2 because the fork of mlf1 isn't done (but should have a stable behaviour in most cases).

* "New" means included here but not there. mlf2 itself is not new (first posting in this forum: April 2006).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by wo2010, Monday, December 13, 2010, 22:46 (4873 days ago) @ Auge

Hello Auge,

many thanks for your answer.

Personally I don't believe that we do need all the new features. But from the administration point of view it seems to direct us to update to 2.x. But I have to wait for the right moment - respectively cluster of moments : -)

Maybe I have to come back to ask questions again.

Have a good Christmas time
and best regards
Wolfgang

RSS Feed of thread