Issues with SPAM (General)

by Bert, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 07:04 (5162 days ago)

I have noticed an enormous amound of newly registered members who never logged in but still are able to use my mailserver to send emails using my forum as sender...

I have to manually delete all those members (approx 30-60 per day!) without them showing up in the total of registered members and without notifying me as administrator...

I only see them when I look in the admin area and sort logins having all zero's at the top of the list before selecting them.

What can I do about this?

Bert

Issues with SPAM

by Helen, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 21:14 (5161 days ago) @ Bert

'oh dear, this isn't what I wanted to hear! :-(

Issues with SPAM

by Alex ⌂, Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 07:35 (5161 days ago) @ Bert

Hi Bert,

I have noticed an enormous amound of newly registered members who never logged in ...

Did they activate their accounts?

... but still are able to use my mailserver to send emails using my forum as sender...

How do they do that?

Enable the CAPTCHA for thr register form.

Alex

Issues with SPAM

by Bert @, Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 08:08 (5161 days ago) @ Alex

Hi Alex,

Did they activate their accounts?

No, they didn't...as far as I can tell (coloured RED). I do not see any new subscribers confirmed through email either (which I do receive with genuine registrations, even before activation).

... but still are able to use my mailserver to send emails using my forum as sender...

How do they do that?

Good question...

Enable the CAPTCHA for thr register form.

I have.. mathematical as in the past the graphical didn't work in Firefox.

Bert

PS , using version 2.14 (not sure if it will be different in version 2.2). I am going to upgrade but the original template changed a whole lot more just to do this "on the fly". My version of MLF looks rather different and I have to redo it all again for version 2.2...

forum.bd-design.nl

PS, it is more quiet now though (new illegal members 5-10 times a day), I only had to delete a whole bunch when I noticed it (doing research after complains from people who received "my" spam).

It stopped...

by Bert, Friday, April 02, 2010, 07:42 (5159 days ago) @ Alex

..aparantly the Graphical CAPTCHA did the job (and mathematical not).

Haven't seen any new illegal member the last day's...pfew.

Bert

RSS Feed of thread