language chooser (General)

by mark knoffer, Friday, July 03, 2009, 22:12 (5420 days ago)

hi,
is there any way of implementing a kind of language chooser for the forum users

[if possible, that even can recognize the location of the users and choose the right language]

regards,
mark

language chooser

by Auge, Saturday, July 04, 2009, 12:57 (5420 days ago) @ mark knoffer

Hello

is there any way of implementing a kind of language chooser for the forum users

Hmm, it should be possible. The script has to know all available laguages (all language files), it should generate a linklist to choose one of the available languages and, in the case of a request, should it include the text strings from the correct language file.

[if possible, that even can recognize the location of the users and choose the right language]

That can be done with a setting in the user table of the data base (for registered users) or with a cookie (for all users, except the people who deny cookies).

But, at the moment, it isn't implemented (otherwise we would find the functionallity).

Tschö, Auge

language chooser

by Paul Brouwer, Saturday, August 01, 2009, 14:53 (5392 days ago) @ mark knoffer

Hi Mark,

This feature also crossed my mind. It would be very nice is this feature is implementated.

In my opinion, there is a workaround for this. You could copy the forum software to a 2nd folder
on your server. Copy the settings database to for instance mlf1_settings.
Change in the settings file (config folder) the name of the settings database
to your new name.
Start MLF from the new folder and change the language setting and save this setting.

After this, you only need to create a hyperlink to the folder with the other language setting.

I'm gonna try it this way....... :-D

Regards,
Paul

language chooser

by Paul Brouwer, Saturday, August 01, 2009, 15:15 (5392 days ago) @ Paul Brouwer

I've tried the described routine and it works!
See here for the Dutch version of my forum
See here for the English version

I did make some changes to the software, so some things are still in Dutch in the English version.
Not such a big deal. :-D

When everything is finished I only need to create the hyperlinks to let the user choose his language.

Regards,
Paul

language chooser (one little problem)

by Paul Brouwer, Saturday, August 01, 2009, 16:21 (5392 days ago) @ Paul Brouwer

Images uploaded in one language will not be available in the other language.
They must be copied manually. :-(

I have think of something to solve this.....:-P

Regards,
Paul

language chooser (and more problems)

by Paul Brouwer, Sunday, August 02, 2009, 15:52 (5391 days ago) @ Paul Brouwer

Although it looked like is was working, there are quite some problems with uploading images.

At this moment I've stopped all efforts on this item. :-(

Greetz,
Paul

language chooser

by Rövarn @, Sunday, September 27, 2009, 09:31 (5335 days ago) @ mark knoffer

Bump...

Solution, anyone?

RSS Feed of thread