First experience with RC 4 after update from 1.7 (General)

by Floxx ⌂, Munich, Sunday, August 24, 2008, 12:32 (5724 days ago)

Yesterday, with wet hands, I have updated MLF from 1.7 to 2.0 (RC 4). Wet hands because more than 20 000 posts were threatend. Here are my experiences ...

• The backup-script for preparing the old SQL database for the new MLF Forum worked fine even with my large SQL file (32 MByte). But it's recommended to restore the complete old forum folder to a local drive for lookups.
  • No problems with installation MLF 2.0
  • Import of the backuped SQL file failed due to file size. This limitation happened also with PHPmyAdmin, so I used my hoster for import.
  • After import there were no German special characters visible in all old postings. Solution: Change line 41 in functions.inc.php to: /* @mysql_query('SET NAMES utf8', $connid); */
  • Every user uploaded pics were invisible due to changed path to the directory with uploaded pics. Solution: Search-replace operation in table "text" under PHPmyAdmin with command in the SQL area:
    UPDATE mlf2_entries SET text = replace(text, 'searchstring', 'replacestring')
    searchstring = img/uploaded
    replacestring = images/uploaded
  • All internal links were death due to changed taget "index.php". So I have changed this part in the links with the same methode as described above:
    searchstring = forum_entry.php
    replacestring = index.php
    Note: With this methode you will cover all links to start postings. For links to deeper postings of a thread I found currently no good solution.
  • A lot of quotations were destroyed, too. Look under PHPmyAdmin in a posting with defect quotations to identify the real code of the defect quotations, than use the search-replace procedure again to change to:
    replacestring = "

Now MLF works fine. Alex: Thanks for your spended time.

No category showen

by Floxx, Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 10:53 (5721 days ago) @ Floxx

Now MLF works fine.

... but in some threads the category isn't showen eg in the category column of the table view. One condition for that little bug (?) is: there must be at least one answer in the related threads.

No category showen

by Micha ⌂, Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 11:03 (5721 days ago) @ Floxx

Hi,

... but in some threads the category isn't showen

Yes, I have the same problem: my posting. The category will be delete, if anyone edit a posting.

regards Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

No category showen

by Floxx, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 11:20 (5720 days ago) @ Micha

my posting. The category will be delete, if anyone edit a posting.

Sorry Micha ... overseen! But now even I have understand: it's a bug, no feature ;-).

Problem with stored passwords

by Floxx, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 11:16 (5720 days ago) @ Floxx

Users with special characters in their password (eg german characters ä, ö...) were unable for log-in after the update. Workaround: Use the "password forgotten" feature in the log-in procedure. Later you can set the received passwort in the user area back to the original string (inclusive special characters) and it will work.

First experience with RC 4 after update from 1.7

by Lennart Lindell, Friday, August 29, 2008, 11:45 (5719 days ago) @ Floxx

If you run the forum on a linux platform,
then it should be possible to create a softlink:

ln -s index.php forum_entry.php

Catch-me-if-you-can settings in admin area

by Floxx, Friday, August 29, 2008, 15:17 (5719 days ago) @ Floxx

At the settings page of the admin area it isn't so easy to enter a value eg in the field of editing delay. When I try to set the cursor in this entry field, this deletes/set the setting in the select-box leftside with each attempt. And the cursor moves like a naughty child across the page when you try to enter a numeric value.

All links from external sources are dead

by Floxx, Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 20:10 (5708 days ago) @ Floxx

All internal links were death due to changed taget "index.php".

It took a while but now I noticed, that all external links from Google index and other sources are dead due to the changed link target with index.php instead of eg mix_entry.php

To avoid error 404 messagaes for the visitors I placed in the root directory of MLF 2.0 a dummy file named

mix_entry.php

with the content

<? Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" ); Header( "Location: http://www.mypage.de/scripts/forum/" ); ?>

That's all what I can do currently with my really poor programming knowledge to by-pass the traffic for each call of (old) mix_entry.php to the (new) homepage of MLF 2.0.

All links from external sources are dead

by Lennart Lindell, Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 18:49 (5694 days ago) @ Floxx

All internal links were death due to changed taget "index.php".

It took a while but now I noticed, that all external links from Google index and other sources are dead due to the changed link target with index.php instead of eg mix_entry.php

To avoid error 404 messagaes for the visitors I placed in the root directory of MLF 2.0 a dummy file named

mix_entry.php

with the content

<? Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" ); Header( "Location: http://www.mypage.de/scripts/forum/" ); ?>

That's all what I can do currently with my really poor programming knowledge to by-pass the traffic for each call of (old) mix_entry.php to the (new) homepage of MLF 2.0.

Hi,
as I said before you can in Unix/Linux create a softlink.
Do it the following way (with the names in your example):

ln -s index.php mix_entry.php

if the files are in the same directory, otherwise you have to add
the path also.

First experience with RC 4 after update from 1.7

by Øyvind Ål, Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 13:58 (5659 days ago) @ Floxx

It may be an smart to run these queries as well:

UPDATE mlf2_entries SET text = REPLACE (text,'[img|left]','[img]');
UPDATE mlf2_entries SET text = REPLACE (text,'[img|right]','[img]');

This makes images from v. 1.7 visible as the [img|left] and [img|right] tags are not supported in version 2.0.

RSS Feed of thread