Links in a new window

by Birgit @, Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 06:54 (5707 days ago)

Good morning all!

Is it possible to open links in postings in a new window? And if it is - where can I do this?

Greetings
Birgit

Links in a new window

by Auge, Thursday, August 14, 2008, 14:58 (5705 days ago) @ Birgit

Hello

Is it possible to open links in postings in a new window? And if it is - where can I do this?

The HTML sources of the forum uses the doctype XHTML 1.0 strict. There is no possibility to open a link in a new window by attribute "target" (it's inexisting).

If you want to use "target", you have to change the doctype to XHTML 1.0 transitional and you should search all the code fragments wich generates the links to the postings to set the attribute "target" into the links.

If you speak german language, search the german forum for version 1 with "strict target". There we had this discussion several times. ;-)

Tschö, Auge

Links in a new window

by Otto, Friday, August 15, 2008, 21:35 (5704 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

The HTML sources of the forum uses the doctype XHTML 1.0 strict. There is no possibility to open a link in a new window by attribute "target" (it's inexisting).

About the attribute is true, but if you change the fragment target=”_blank” in the link with onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;" onkeypress="window.open(this.href); return false;" it passes the validation :-)

Otto

Links in a new window

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, August 16, 2008, 00:37 (5704 days ago) @ Otto

Hi Otto!

About the attribute is true, but if you change the fragment target=”_blank” in the link with onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;" onkeypress="window.open(this.href); return false;" it passes the validation :-)

You shouldn't create webpages for a validator, but for people. Switch off JavaScript in your browser and wait. :-(

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Links in a new window

by Otto, Sunday, August 17, 2008, 20:01 (5702 days ago) @ Alfie

You shouldn't create webpages for a validator, but for people. Switch off JavaScript in your browser and wait. :-(

In these times it is virtually impossible to visit internet pages (including this forum) without javascript enabled. So, why still bother for those dinosaur users who still don't use javascript? :-)

Otto

Links in a new window

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, August 17, 2008, 20:42 (5702 days ago) @ Otto

Hi Otto!

In these times it is virtually impossible to visit internet pages (including this forum) without javascript enabled.

This forum (and the old version 1.x) works wonderfully without JavaScript (and even without CSS - which is nice for screenreaders). OK, in v2 of course there's no Ajax-preview, BBCode, link and image-insertion, etc, but the basic functionality is still available.
Especially 'in these times' in big companies JavaScript is deactivated by net-admins on client machines according to firm's safety policy (according to my logs about 5-10% of visitors are using the forum without JavaScript). If you rely on JavaScript you are forcing Users to wait until they are at there home-PC to answer.

So, why still bother for those dinosaur users who still don't use javascript? :-)

It's up to you; I just pointed out some reasons why it may not be desirable... :cool:

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Links in a new window

by Otto, Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 18:04 (5699 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi Otto!

In these times it is virtually impossible to visit internet pages (including this forum) without javascript enabled.

This forum (and the old version 1.x) works wonderfully without JavaScript (and even without CSS - which is nice for screenreaders). OK, in v2 of course there's no Ajax-preview, BBCode, link and image-insertion, etc, but the basic functionality is still available.

Okay, I didn't know that, but if someone is willing to drop functionality, then I assume he will also have no problem with links not opening in new windows :-)

Anyway, he can still press the right mouse button on a link and then select "Open in new window" or "Open in new tab" (Seamonkey)...

Otto

Links in a new window

by bttr ⌂, Berlin, Germany, Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 12:22 (5693 days ago) @ Otto

Anyway, he can still press the right mouse button on a link and then select "Open in new window" or "Open in new tab" (Seamonkey)...

Or just press the middle mouse button (if any) to open in a new tab.

Links in a new window

by Birgit @, Monday, August 18, 2008, 17:44 (5701 days ago) @ Birgit

Hi all,

thanx for your answers. I think I have to live with the fact that it isn't possible for me to open links in new windows. I will manage it. ;-)

Greetings,
Birgit

RSS Feed of thread