How to change message Subject font size? (Bugs)

by milfan, Thursday, July 31, 2008, 22:43 (5719 days ago)
edited by Alfie, Friday, August 01, 2008, 00:47

I want to change the font size of the post SUBJECT (title), but no idea how.

I have scanned over the style.css again and again, only found out how to change the CONTENT font size.

I need your help, thanks alot

Regards,

--
Edit: Category changed. [Alfie]

How to change message Subject font size?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Friday, August 01, 2008, 00:32 (5719 days ago) @ milfan
edited by Alfie, Friday, August 01, 2008, 00:44

• look at the XHTML source code
  • find the first subject line
  • now go up in the documents hierarchy and note all tags and css-classes
    • < a class="thread"> (for a "normal subject line", or sticky if fixed, or new)
    • < li>
    • ... up until < body> is reached
  • until < body> is reached
  • open style.css
  • now go down according the hierarchy you have noted in XHTML
    • starting with body { font-size:100.1%; }
    • until a.thread, a.thread-sticky, or a.threadnew is reached

That's the wonderful thing with a liquid design: all font sizes are relative to the one given in the body.

Therefore:
body 100.1%: the default font size of the user's browser is used)
content p and content ul: paragraphs and list are set to 0.82em (=82% of body's)
table class="normaltab": almost there
table.normaltab td.a: even closer... (0.82em)
table.normaltab ul.thread: here we are (font-size:1em !important)

That's an example for the main page; if you want to change the font size of the subject line in an open post, just use the same method (HTML up, CSS down).
Hint: h1 class="postingheadline"...

@Alex: Oops, missing in style.css, therefore the browser's default definition for

<h1>

(within the "content-class") is applied...
BTW, this is semantically not correct; should be < h2>, because only one < h1> should be used within a page ("There can be only one!").

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by milfan, Friday, August 01, 2008, 09:23 (5718 days ago) @ Alfie

Many thanks Alfie,

I will try later to change the
to see how it works.

btw when you say "look at the XHTML source code", you mean to view the source code of the main page index.php,
I was even puzzeling with that :)

Also: if the admin's Forum Setting area can change those font sizes, it would be great too. Many people are not so familiar with CSS and scripts (me either).

Regards,

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Friday, August 01, 2008, 11:48 (5718 days ago) @ milfan

Dear milfan!

I will try later to change the
to see how it works.

I wouldn't do that (it will change the font size of the entire list within the table). The problem with the font-size in the subject line's heading

<h1 class="postingheadline">foo</h1>

is a reference to a class which doesn't exist in style.css. Either you add something like

.postingheadline { font-size:1.1em; }

(you can experiment with the value of font-size), or you wait for the next version.
If you change the font-size, always use the unit "em", not "px" or the like...

btw when you say "look at the XHTML source code", you mean to view the source code of the main page index.php,

No, I meant open the page you want (the main page, a thread, a single post,...) in the browser and look at the XHTML which is produced by the scripts. I don't know which browser you are using, probably it's something like [View -> Source] in your local language. That's what you are interested in.
Looking at the scripts is very confusing... ;-)

I was even puzzeling with that :)

Sure.

Also: if the admin's Forum Setting area can change those font sizes, it would be great too. Many people are not so familiar with CSS and scripts (me either).

This may go to Alex's wish-list.
(Arghl: there's a two-letter smiley rendered in this post!)

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by milfan2, Friday, August 01, 2008, 17:08 (5718 days ago) @ Alfie

Thanks alot Alfie :)

1. I tried to put your code this in style.css:
.postingheadline { font-size:1.1em; }
it works fine with the post Title after you opened the thread.
(I digged out that the postingheadline is used in thread.tpl.inc)

2. But what I really want is to enlarge the font size of the Title before it is opened, namely, when they are displayed in index.php.

Really appreciating your and Alex's answers, helped a lot in learning the MLF better :)

Regards,

Btw: I logged in with my user name milfan in another computer to reply, but can not reply more, it says: this name is already used by another user, dunno why, so a new name

OK

by milfan2, Friday, August 01, 2008, 17:40 (5718 days ago) @ milfan2

Okay I figured out following way:
by changing the font size in following parts, then I can get the Titles displayed in larger fonts:

#content { margin:0; padding:20px; min-height:200px; background:#fff; }
#content p { font-size:1.05em; line-height:1.45em; max-width:60em; }
#content ul { font-size:0.85em; line-height:1.45em; max-width:60em; }
#content li,
#content ul ul { font-size:1em; }

Not sure if you have better ways.

Regards,

by Alex ⌂, Friday, August 01, 2008, 11:30 (5718 days ago) @ Alfie

@Alex: Oops, missing in style.css, therefore the browser's default definition for <h1> (within the "content-class") is applied...

Yes, class="postingheadline" is needless (.ct-posting h1 is applied).

only one <h1> should be used within a page

In my opinion there can be one <h1> for the website headline (like here "my little forum") and another one for the article/document/posting headline - and even more if there are several articles with the same relevance on one page.
But you're right: an opened complete thread is a hierarchical structure so the initial posting headline should be marked up with <h1>, the headlines of the replies with <h2>.

Alex

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Friday, August 01, 2008, 12:18 (5718 days ago) @ Alex

In my opinion there can be one <h1> for the website headline (like here "my little forum") and another one for the article/document/posting headline - and even more if there are several articles with the same relevance on one page.
But you're right: an opened complete thread is a hierarchical structure so the initial posting headline should be marked up with <h1>, the headlines of the replies with <h2>.

IMHO, only one <h1> should be used - although this is controversial. A little reader:
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/Use_h1_for_Title
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2004/07/21/pick-a-heading/
http://meiert.com/de/publications/articles/20070106/ (in German)

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

RSS Feed of thread