Thoughts on the New Forum (General)

by Per Bylund ⌂ @, Columbia, Mo, Thursday, July 31, 2008, 04:30 (5742 days ago)

I started a thread in my installed MLF2 RC3 to let the users comment on what they like/dislike with the forum. They have some suggestions (and I'm sure they'll add more as well). The thread is available here: http://anarchism.net/forum/index.php?id=32170

Per Bylund

Thoughts on the New Forum

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Thursday, July 31, 2008, 13:35 (5741 days ago) @ Per Bylund

Hi Per,

I tried to answer in your forum to this post.
The preview worked, but while posting (two attempts) I ended up with:

Database error!

MySQL server has gone away

Therefore I'm replying here.

I bet rotten_republic is using M$IE6.
We had some discussions about this effect already e.g., here:

I never saw this effect in M$IE7 and - of course - within the Mozilla family...

It was difficult to reproduce, so most likely Alex simply gave up. I think it's an CSS-issue, but no resolution from my side (I'm still using a heavy patched 1.7.6 version - I don't dare running both versions simultaneously at the moment).

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by Per Bylund ⌂ @, Columbia, Mo, Friday, August 01, 2008, 03:39 (5741 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi Per,

I tried to answer in your forum to this post.
The preview worked, but while posting (two attempts) I ended up with:

Database error!

MySQL server has gone away

Therefore I'm replying here.

I bet rotten_republic is using M$IE6.
We had some discussions about this effect already e.g., here:

I never saw this effect in M$IE7 and - of course - within the Mozilla family...

It was difficult to reproduce, so most likely Alex simply gave up. I think it's an CSS-issue, but no resolution from my side (I'm still using a heavy patched 1.7.6 version - I don't dare running both versions simultaneously at the moment).

Thanks, Alfie. I was able to reproduce this in MSIE7 too, but I don't get it in Firefox 3.01 (which is the one I use).

It took quite a while for me to get to the error message. Something tells me the reasons for the error message is a timeout. Why I get it I don't know, but perhaps this post (since it seems to generate the error every time using MSIE7) can help in troubleshooting and providing a bug fix for the fixed post-RC version?

Per Bylund

by Alex ⌂, Friday, August 01, 2008, 08:02 (5741 days ago) @ Alfie

It was difficult to reproduce, so most likely Alex simply gave up.

As I posted here I couldn't reproduce it.

Alex

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Friday, August 01, 2008, 11:59 (5741 days ago) @ Alex

It was difficult to reproduce, so most likely Alex simply gave up.

As I posted here I couldn't reproduce it.

Yes I know; although I was hit by the effect, it was very difficult to reproduce it anyway. It was only seen in IE6 (on my XPProSP2); just tried it again a couple of times, but right now I only have the latest version of IE (6.0.2900.5512 XPProSP3) and could not reproduce it either (IE7 always worked anyhow). Sorry, but I have no ideas how to deal with it (the CSS seems to be OK for me...).

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

RSS Feed of thread