database too large (Technics)

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, March 19, 2017, 12:14 (2567 days ago) @ Otto Tuil
edited by Auge, Friday, March 31, 2017, 14:40

Hello

In addition, I noticed that creating a backup of the entries database does not work properly. The backup appeared to be incomplete. Perhaps also a result of the large amount of entries.

Yes and no. Yes, more entries means longer execution time of the backup script. But the execution time of a PHP-script is limited. With around 200,000 entries the database is definitely too large for a backup with a PHP-script on a hosted webserver. Especially it's an issue, when your account is a shared hosting account. There you have to share also the PHP-environment and the execution resources for the scripts. So in the end it's not a limitation of the database but a (reasonable) limitation of the PHP-environment.

I think, the whole concept of a backup from within the PHP-script in it's current form is disputeable. But that's a question of a big rework and/or the available tools from outside the script. If your hosting company makes a different available (i.e. via phpMyAdmin or similar) use this tool or test it at least.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread