The views for the entries and some questions @Milo (Design/Themes)

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, August 02, 2016, 11:39 (2817 days ago) @ Auge
edited by Auge, Tuesday, August 02, 2016, 14:38

Hello

I fought with the threaded and linear views of a thread. Some things I rebuilt:

- The openig entry is hierarchically an equivalent of it's answers. Before it was the parent-element (header-wise).
- Some of the informations about the author and the posting itself will be faded out for the mobile view.
- The taglist and the count of the views are now part of the meta information block (a.k.a. <header>).
- The link to the answer form is now part of the option list below the entry. For most users it's the only option.
- Every entry is an <article>.
- The elements for title, author info and the tag list (if available) are content of a <header>.
- the footer is now, what it claims to be, namely a <footer>.

A thread in a narrow viewport (Firefox developer tools). The image is shrinked by a quarter of it's original size (width and height). The first entry is closed with a click on it's title, only the header is displayed.

[image]

You see, there are some minor problems.

As first, the information bar about the author and entry contains some orphaned commas. The reason is the outfade of the website- and e-mail-link, the posting time (with date and time) and the IP (for admins). The commas are part of the strings in the language files. I can't skip them without skipping the whole block and display the authors name and entry date again. This would be cumbersome and not very robust. A possible solution would be the disintegration of the language string into different parts, wich can be displayed part by part in own HTML-elements.

But that needs changes to the source code of the forum script.

A second problem ist the way how entries are skipped by clicking/tapping it's title. At the moment some of the HTML-elements get an inline-style-attribute via JavaScript (resulting in <element style="display: none;">). I would like to set a class-attribute to the whole container of the entry (the <article>-element in my template) and use style-definitions in the CSS-file instead. The main reason is the flexibility and portability of this system.

My template could contain the following CSS-definitions (given class name: "posting-faded-out"):

.posting-faded-out .avatar {
    width: 2em;
    height: 2em;
}

.posting-faded-out .tags,
.posting-faded-out body,
.posting-faded-out footer {
    display: none;
}

another one could set different rules, i.e.:

.posting-faded-out .avatar,
.posting-faded-out .tags,
.posting-faded-out body,
.posting-faded-out footer {
    display: none;
}

Further informations at a later time.

Edit:

@Milo: What is the effort to change the JavaScript at this point? Are there further places with similar behaviours?

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread