Discussion about the need of title-attributes (Design/Themes)

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, July 13, 2016, 11:04 (2834 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

During the work on the template I found a veritable bunch of title attributes. I'm sure, I'll find further ones in the future ;-).

In my humble opinion these attributes are obsolete.

In ancient times a simple way to avoid displaying the value of the images alt-attribute was to integrate an empty title-attribute. Over the time the forum script got more and more title-attributes (with nonempty values) for more and more elements.

• Many of them has identical or at least similar values with only small changes to i.e. elements link textes or alt-attributes. The informations, wich additionally are delivered with title-attributes, are redundant in many cases.
  • If an information is important for the user, it should not be the value of a title-attribute. It should be the readable content of any HTML-element instead.
  • All of them are not accessible on touch devices.
  • All of them inflates the size of the forums source code in it self and of the transfered data in case of requests for the generated web pages.

In my own theme I can disable the titles by removing them from the Smarty-templates. But the code in the script to enlive the attributes with their values and the values in the language files will and must stay for the use in different themes. Any thoughts about removing the code itself?

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread