Unregistered people sending spam e-mail (Features)

by davwat, Sunday, June 20, 2010, 05:49 (5031 days ago) @ Auge
edited by davwat, Sunday, June 20, 2010, 06:13

Auge

Thanks for your reply and comments.

Maybe, I did not explain my point correctly, my intention is not to protect the admin from receiving emails. I agree there should always be a contact form or similar available so people can easily contact the website admin.

What I am concerned about is that registered users are advising me that that they are receiving spam email which is being sent from the forum, they know the email is generated from the forum as each email they receive states so.

Users then ask me what I am doing to prevent them receiving the spam emails. All I can do is to reply and tell them I can't do anything. They can of course change their settings so their email address is not contactable but they do not want to do this as they still want other registered users to be able to contact them.

In checking on many other forums to see how this situation is handled, I have clicked on email icons or similar and every time I am advised that I must be a registered user to send an email. I have yet to find a forum where I am able to send an email to a user without being registered.

I have a contact form on my websites for people to contact me which is not part of the forum. I notice Alex has the same on this website and I imagine you have also on your website. I do not see it as the responsibility of the author of the forum software to make a contact form as part of the forum so people can contact the admin of the website but it is the responsibility of the webmaster to have a link to a contact form on their home page at least.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread