2.2 development snapshot (General)

by Alex ⌂, Sunday, January 31, 2010, 16:49 (5214 days ago)

Hi,

finally, I'm beginning to use a version control system for the development of my little forum (thanks to Auge for the "idea"). Here's a first development snapshot.

New in this snapshot:

• Registered users can now set their preferred language (if more than one language file is available), time zone and theme (if more than one theme is available).
    The time zone feature uses date_default_timezone_set and requires PHP >= 5.1.0 (if the forum runs on a server with an older PHP version this feature is just not available). The available time zones can be specified in the file config/time_zones. All possible time zones form a quite long list (demo) so I tried to sort out identical ones. However, this reduced list has still 218 items and is still a little bit hard to handle in the user settings.
    Furthermore I'm still not sure what to do with the old time difference setting. It's still necessary in case date_default_timezone_set isn't available. At the moment you can set the time zone and in addition to that the time difference which might be a little bit confusing.

• Read postings (more precisely: the 200 latest read postings - adjustable with the setting max_read_items) are stored server-side now for registered users (so far read postings were only stored in a cookie).

• Template/CSS modifications:
    • menus as unordered lists (user menu, subnavigation, bottom menu)
    • CSS Sprites for (some) background images to reduce the amount of HTTP requests
    • indenting if there are line breaks within list items in threads, see image 1 (before) and 2 (after)
    • merged regular and IE stylesheet (new <div id="ie"> for IE)
    • preloading ajax preview images (throbber and background image) in the styleshet (so far: JS preloading)

This is all still in a testing stage, suggestions and comments are welcome!

Alex

Image 1 (before):

[image]

Image 2 (after):

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread