Test version... (Features)

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 16:49 (5392 days ago) @ Alex

OK but what exactly do you hope to achieve by this? You're right that it isn't really necessary that the user contact forms are indexed by search engines. But the admin contact form should be, shouldn't it?

I’m not sure either. I’m getting about 100 spam e-mails daily from my forum’s e-mail address. Of course the sender is spoofed, but on the other hand I never published the address anywhere. Only registered users are allowed to post, the math captcha is active on the registration and contact form. I have invisible links to a honey pot in my template and at all pages of my site where an e-mail is given (only coded as HTML-entities), all links (to contact-forms, linked user’s HPs and to documents linked within posts are tagged with rel="nofollow". I’m daily sending the content of my junk-mail folder (KnujOn-Extension of Seamonkey/Thunderbird) to KnujOn. Persistent spammer’s are excluded from my site in .htaccess (getting a nice 403-page). Maybe I’m just paranoid – or only pissed off. ;-)
I would guess that spam-bots simply don’t care about rel="nofollow", but on the other hand what’s the use of crawling the site a couple of times (like following the link to 'User', etc.)? It just increases traffic.

[…] Bug or feature?

I would call it a "historical problem". ;-)

I see! :-D

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread