Sharing my personal customization of my little forum (General)

by Allegra ⌂ @, Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 03:35 (5699 days ago) @ d0d

Ummmm... well, I guess I could send you the files that I edited... I mainly edited main.tpl and style.css. I also edited english.lang (in the languages folder) because I didn't like some of the wording on the links and buttons that came default with the forum. Let's see, I also edited the index_table.tpl.inc and posting.tpl.inc in the templates>>default>>subtemplates folder. And I can't remember for the life of me how I did it, but somehow I was able to change the setting so that table view was default (for everyone) and folded view was default (rather than expanded). Then I commented out the code that let them change the default view. LOL. Seriously, the writers of this forum should put more customization into their forum (or any at all). Like making it very easy to pick which view you want and keep it that way, maybe a few colour themes for those who don't want to break their backs changing the colour of text in a zillion places in the gigantesque style.css page, and maybe picking which questions get asked in the posting page. I had to manually comment out the questions I didn't want my users to answer. Anyways, now that it's all done with and history, I quite like the forum. The programmers did a wonderful job of making a basic and functional forum without too much extra unnecessary stuff like in phpBB. (like that whole two-column look, where the left column is totally empty except the poster's name, and the other column has all the content squished into it... what a waste of space).

Let me know if you want me to send you my edited files. Reply to this post and we can make arrangements.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread