First experience with RC 4 after update from 1.7 (General)

by Floxx ⌂, Munich, Sunday, August 24, 2008, 12:32 (5695 days ago)

Yesterday, with wet hands, I have updated MLF from 1.7 to 2.0 (RC 4). Wet hands because more than 20 000 posts were threatend. Here are my experiences ...

• The backup-script for preparing the old SQL database for the new MLF Forum worked fine even with my large SQL file (32 MByte). But it's recommended to restore the complete old forum folder to a local drive for lookups.
  • No problems with installation MLF 2.0
  • Import of the backuped SQL file failed due to file size. This limitation happened also with PHPmyAdmin, so I used my hoster for import.
  • After import there were no German special characters visible in all old postings. Solution: Change line 41 in functions.inc.php to: /* @mysql_query('SET NAMES utf8', $connid); */
  • Every user uploaded pics were invisible due to changed path to the directory with uploaded pics. Solution: Search-replace operation in table "text" under PHPmyAdmin with command in the SQL area:
    UPDATE mlf2_entries SET text = replace(text, 'searchstring', 'replacestring')
    searchstring = img/uploaded
    replacestring = images/uploaded
  • All internal links were death due to changed taget "index.php". So I have changed this part in the links with the same methode as described above:
    searchstring = forum_entry.php
    replacestring = index.php
    Note: With this methode you will cover all links to start postings. For links to deeper postings of a thread I found currently no good solution.
  • A lot of quotations were destroyed, too. Look under PHPmyAdmin in a posting with defect quotations to identify the real code of the defect quotations, than use the search-replace procedure again to change to:
    replacestring = "

Now MLF works fine. Alex: Thanks for your spended time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread