No postgresql. (Features)

by Auge ⌂, Monday, April 22, 2019, 19:54 (1832 days ago) @ pdp-7

Hello

I'm not sure if it's some kind of taboo or something but there is no psql version of this brilliant little forum?

As Alfie stated before, there is no PostgreSQL-version of My Little Forum. It's because there was never a need for it and – as far as I know – no one of us has a webspace or webserver with a PostgreSQL database server installed on it.

I looked into the PHP-manual section for the PostgreSQL module and I think it should in general be manageable to alter all calls of database functions from the mysqli- to the pg-module. But at that point one will be trapped to alter every new version or to get stuck to the one version one altered because of the effort to follow the changes in the main repository.

Some years ago there was the question to build a version for SQLite. I could also build a version for MS SQL Server because I work with it at work and I think I know, how to do it. In all cases we would hit the same trap I decribed above. The only chance I can imagine to circumvent this trap would be to encapsulate every function call related to a database communication in neutral functions which could exist in several editions for different database systems under the same name or as functions, that can handle the calls to different database systems in itself. A third (and IMHo the best) way would be to move to the PDO class that is (again in general) database system neutral.

All of the three ways are not subject of this project. Only if someone comes with a reasonable draft or (better) a production ready pull request we can discuss the proposed way.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread