Hundreds of fake user registrations each day (General)

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, December 12, 2017, 08:49 (2298 days ago) @ Brent

Hello

Each day I get over 200 spam user registrations.

That's annoying, I know.

I've tried both the graphical and mathematical CAPTCHA, but to no avail. As a result, my domain is now blacklisted everywhere resulting that my email end up in junk folders or aren't delivered at all because the system sends out hundreds of spam activation emails every day.

The captchas are answerable nowadays. Old, dumb robots will fail but up-to-date technics can solve the quests. So the captchas does not protect you effectively.

Is there anything I can do to prevent all these fake user registrations?

You can activate "Stop Forum Spam" (SFS). When a new registration happens, SFS will be asked if the e-mail address is known as a spammers address. This will protect you at least against known spam accounts.

You can set the setting "User registration" to the value "self but new accounts have to be unlocked by an admin or a moderator". Then the users registering them self but you have to unlock them. You'll have the control over which account should be activated but the forum will nevertheless send the e-mail to the user (to confirm the registration) and after the confirmation to the admin/mods (to inform them about the registration). So it's effectively no protection against the possible blacklisting.

- You can set the setting "User registration" to the value "only by admin". Then you are the one that registers every user. As registering admin you can decide for every account if you send a conformation message to the user or not. Not very convenient but at the moment the only method to be safe (in combination with SFS).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread