Release of version 2.4.6, Example (General)

by Tommy Nilsson ⌂, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 08:25 (2342 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

This is, as far as I know, an always existing (mis)-behaviour.

No, I have a version 2.3 live here: http://www.jernbanen.dk/forum/
where it works as expected. Tested in Chrome and Edge.

It only seems to work, because when I open the thread in the whole-thread-view, the forum marks all messages of the thread as viewed. But this assumption is wrong.

I think that this is the way it should work.

As an example I opened the thread "exit mugabe" in your forum and read only the first two messages. Anyhow, all (actually) eight messages are marked as read.

Of course the forum can´t detect if a user actually read all the postings. But I think we can assume that and mark the whole thread as read.

With the version 2.4 we replaced the old cookie or user-settings based read-marking with a new approach, that is browser based for non-registered users and database-based but independent from the user-settings for registered users. At that point we removed the set-all-read-behaviour. It's comprehensible to get a correct listing of the read postings from the visitors view. Actually neither the new nor the old behaviour comply the task.

Ok, that explains why the usual behavior stopped working. I guess I just have to stick with version 2.3 then.

/Tommy

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread